Feel the Pressure–And Love It!!

Posted by Patrick
Feel the Pressure–And Love It!!

Ask yourself, on a scale of 1-10, how comfortable are you everyday?  I’m not talking about comfortable, like warm, well fed and sitting in a soft chair.  I’m talking comfortable, like do you feel stress, pressure, maybe even a little anxiety on a daily basis?  We hear those words stress, pressure, anxiety and most of us have an immediate negative response.  Those are things we don’t want in our lives, right?  I say wrong.

Don’t misunderstand me, I’m not encouraging anyone to surround themselves with undue stress or unfounded pressure.  What I am saying is this…we must impose upon ourselves a sense of urgency around those goals that we want to accomplish in our lives.  It is critical to success.  One of the greatest challenges that people face is that they believe they can do “it” tomorrow and, as we all know, tomorrow is the twin sister of never.  The 17th Century English poet George Herbert said:

“Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along.”

We already know that we must have a clear vision for our goals, a vision that we visit daily, but we often forget that we must also attach a sense of urgency to these goals–realize that there is a limited amount of time in which to get them accomplished; because really, time is our most valuable resource–it’s what makes up everything that means anything in our lives.  It’s in our most profound moments that this becomes the most clear.

There is, however, an important distinction to be made here.  Legendary basketball coach John Wooden said “Be quick, but don’t hurry”.  Herein lies the beauty of the word “urgency”.  If you act on your goals with a sense of urgency but still make sure that your actions are planned and well thought out, then you have mastered the art of being quick without hurrying.

As humans we tend toward the comfortable.  Unless we are driving ourselves toward urgency our natural inclination is to maintain a state of comfort.  This is why we have to prioritize our goals, if not we’ll always start with the ones that are the least taxing.  By prioritizing we add the sense of urgency to get the most important things done quickly before we move on to anything else.

You can change your life in 5 years.  This is a fact.  It is also a fact that there are only 60 months in 5 years and, just like the seconds in a minute, they pass quickly.  Make sure that everyday of those 60 months is filled with a sense of urgency to accomplish those things that will make the biggest difference in your life.

Now, what are you going to do today?

8 Responses to Feel the Pressure–And Love It!!

1. Stacy says:

What a great article. Thank you for this today. It was just what I needed to keep myself focused.

2. Stan Livesay says:

Great mesage Patrick,
    It seems so easy to fall into this “rut” and lose the sense of urgency. Thanks for reminding me ..we all like never before should spend some real time,important time to establish or reestabish our goals,anchor them into our soul & being and then waste no time going after them. One of my teachers and mentors W. Clement Stone said it in a moment by moment reminder for his students….”Do It Now”.

• Thanks Mr Shaw. It was great seeing you on stage in Dallas. Your words 2day
      Are right on time for me as a reminder to keep it moving & get busy doing what I’ve
      Committed to do. That starts NOW, Today…..

3. Kelly Krei says:

Patrick,
    5 years ago I began a new career at age 45 and now 5 years later I have become successful thanks in part to your insistence that I have goals and work my plan backwards. Thank you for your consistent message and belief in goal setting.

My best to you and your family.

4. Jeff Waddington says:

Truly a valuable message. I would add that your life can change in a matter of seconds if you are willing to change your thoughts. All the best in pursuit of excellence!

5. Dot Rook says:

Thanks Patrick,
    Even though I heard loud & clear in Dallas to use the tools we have, I’m guilty of waiting on new tools with new logo.
    So “thank You” for reminding me to get out of my comfort zone and get to work “now”

Best Regards,
    Dot Rook

6. Dorothy L. Kettering says:

Patrick, thank you for not giving up on me! That was a very moving article. It really hit home. Thanks again. Dot Kettering

7. Myla Everett says:

“Do It Now!” hung over my desk for years. When I retired, it got packed away. Thanks to you, it is now hanging over my home office desk. I needed that!